A warm embrace on a cold Winter day, this voluminous Apple Pie Oatmeal will remind you of that delicious apple pie, but will leave you feeling energized and ready to tackle the day ahead. This is also wonderful if you make it and put it in the fridge as a quick cold breakfast.
Yield: 1 serving
- 1/3 cup regular oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger + pinch of kosher salt
- 1 + 1/4 cups Almond Milk
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1-1.5 tablespoon pure maple syrup + more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, for sprinkling on top
1. In a medium sized pot over medium heat, whisk together the 1/3 cup oats, peeled and chopped apple, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1.25 cups Almond milk, 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, pinch of kosher salt. Whisk well.
2. Heat over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring often. When the mixture thickens and the liquid is absorbed, it is ready. Stir in the pure vanilla extract.
3. Pour into a dish and sprinkle with chopped walnuts, a pinch of cinnamon, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Add a tiny bit of almond milk on top.
Nutritional Info (Serves 1, without walnuts): 438 kcals, 10 grams fat (healthy fats!!), 13 grams fibre, 11 grams protein.