By Cara Lyons
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, stemmed (TIP: For less heat, remove seeds.)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup low-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 packed cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 24 jumbo (21-25) shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- High-heat cooking oil (such as sunflower, safflower or grape seed oil), as needed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 16 cubes (TIP: Slice avocado lengthwise into quarters, then cut each slice into 4 chunks)
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked for 1 hour
- Prepare marinade: In a blender or food processor, blend jalapeño, garlic, ginger, milk, mint, lime juice and fish sauce on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- In a square baking dish, add shrimp and top with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Lightly oil grill with cooking oil. Preheat grill to medium-high. Remove shrimp from marinade and thread on skewers with avocado and watermelon, dividing evenly; discard remaining marinade. Grill, turning once, for 6 to 7 minutes, until shrimp are opaque throughout.
Nutrients per serving (2 skewers): Calories: 223, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 15.5 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 10 g, Protein: 24.5 g, Sodium: 294 mg, Cholesterol: 172 mg