Monday, December 19, 2011

Random Acts~ Part Eight...

Have you ever had a day when you just didn't have the time or maybe the patience to deal with anyone? That was me today... I am on day 3, of having a migraine & all I want to do is sleep in a nice quiet & dark place.  The pounding in my head is almost more than I can bare at this point, but I know that it will pass.  I just have to be patient... So, I had just finished my appointment at the dentist and I had to run a few quick errands before heading home.  I ran into Walmart which was packed, and started to collect up the things that I needed before I made a dash for the check out.  I happened to walk by the jewelry department where I saw an elderly gentleman who had a cane, trying desperately to get a pair of earrings down.  Try as he might he just couldn't reach them.  I went over and asked if I might be able to assist him with something.  We got talking and he told me that he was hunting for a few things but just was running out of energy and his hip was hurting him.  Apparently, all of the motorized chairs at the entrance were being used at the time.  So, I started to help him.  We ended up spending almost an hour together.  We got everything that he wanted to get, and then I got him to the check out counter.  He Thanked me, and then offered to talk to my Manger to tell them what a wonderful job I had done, & it was the best service that he had ever gotten ( especially at Walmart )... I had to laugh... I told him that I didn't work there, I was just helping him out.  He was genuinely shocked.  He couldn't understand why I took the time to help him out.  I told him that somewhere in his life he had helped someone out, "just because"I was returning the favor.  I thought he was going to cry right there.  He offered to pay me & I refused.  I told him that one day, I might be in a similar situation & I hope that someone will take the time to help me.  He got the biggest smile on his face.  He told me that the earrings were for "his girl".  Apparently they had just moved into a retirement community and she had given away all of her good jewelry so he wanted her to have something that sparkled for Christmas.  I told him that I was glad to help & hoped that she would enjoy them.  Simple acts of kindness... It took me an hour longer than I had planned on & I wasn't at 100%, but it was still good enough to help him with his needs.  He left with a smile & I left with a warm feeling knowing that I had made his day a little brighter...
XoXo

2 comments:

  1. You make my day brighter all the time by just being you!!! XOXO....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this...you are truly one of a kind, Sunny!--A Heart of Gold!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete