Friday, February 10, 2012

Fantastic Foodie Friday~Melanie's Chicken Corn-Chili~

I had asked for my blog readers to send me a recipe that was healthy & tasted good.  This recipe was sent to me from my dear friend, Melanie.  She writes...It turned out pretty good!!!  I would recommend increasing the jalapeno peppers for a little more spice...  I will be making this soon, but because of my pepper allergies, I will have to leave them out of my batch!  I hope you enjoy this & Thank You Melanie for sharing your recipe with everyone!  
XoXo

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large jalapeno pepper, 1/2 chopped and 1/2 sliced
1 4 oz can chopped green chilies, drained
1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 15 oz cans lg white beans or pinto beans ( drained and rinsed )
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack or white cheddar cheese
Sour cream and cornbread, for serving (optional)

1) Heat the olive oil in a lg pot over med heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, about 3 mins.  Add the garlic, chopped jalapeno, green chilies, and cumin and cook, stirring, until the cumin is toasted, about 2 mins.  Stir in the chicken broth, chicken, and beans along with liquid from one of the cans of beans.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to med low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 mins.

2)  Using a potato masher, mash the chili until about 1/2 of the beans are broken up.  Stir in the corn, cilantro, and 1/2 cup cheese - heat 2 more mins.  Divide the chili among bowls and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and sliced jalapeno.  Serve with sour cream and cornbread, if desired.  




No comments:

Post a Comment