Friday, March 4, 2011

Fantastic Foodie Fridays... Lemon Chicken Fingers

Every Friday I will be dedicating my blog to FOOD!  Part of training is fueling your body.  I hope to post something for everyone.  Most of the time it will be health conscious, but I will have times when it's just good, flavorful food.  I ( LOVE ) my spices!  I use Penzeys Spices if I am not cooking with fresh herbs,  I am growing myself.  I have found over the last eight years that they have consistently made a difference in any dish that I have made.  They are always fresh, they have blends that you won't find anywhere else and if you ever get to go to a store it is a wonderful experience.  I love going to their store and just smelling all the different spices, then thinking about what will I make next.  This is my gift to you... So, seeing that I can't be there to make this for you.   I figured this was the second best way for me to send you a gift once a week.  For your first of many recipes.  I am going to give you a recipe that anytime I have made it people have always asked for seconds and the plates always come back spotless!   I found this recipe in Penzeys One, Volume 3, Issue 2 2008. Page 22 ( if you care ).  It was submitted by Carol Heart...  
                                                          
         Lemon Chicken Fingers ~


3     boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about one pound)
1      egg plus 1 TB water
1/2   Cup plain breadcrumbs
1 tsp.     dried basil
1 tsp     dried oregano
1/4     Cup olive oil, divided
1     clove garlic, crushed
1/2     Cup of white wine
1       lemon, juice of


Cut each breast into 4 pieces lengthwise.  Pound the chicken until it is thin and flat with a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy glass jar.  Briskly whisk the egg with the water in a wide, shallow bowl.  In a second wide shallow bowl, or a plate with a rim, mix the breadcrumbs with basil and oregano.  Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-low.  When hot, dip half the chicken pieces in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, coating the chicken evenly.  Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds ( do not brown ) Add the chicken pieces. Brown lightly, turn the chicken and lightly brown the other side,  1-2 minutes per side.  Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining chicken, adding the remaining oil if needed.  Add the white wine to the pan and stir to loosen all the yummy browned bits.  Add the lemon juice.  Return all of the chicken to the pan and cook, covered over low heat for about 10 minutes, or until done.  If there is not enough sauce in the pan, add a bit more wine.  If there is too much, remove the cover and let it reduce for a bit.  Remove the pan and serve.  


Ok, here is where I am going to put my 2 cents worth in...
I throw all the breadcrumbs in a Ziploc bag with the spices.  Once the chicken is coated with the "egg wash" I shake away!  I also don't always cut them into "strips".  If I am making this for adults I usually just leave the whole breast and continue as instructed.  I think it gives a better presentation when serving.  Also, instead of throwing away all the leftover breadcrumbs and spices that are in the bag I toss them into the pan towards the very end so that I have extra sauce.  You will see if you make this that people can't get enough of it.  I usually pair this with grilled veggies and lemon water.  


Here is the website to Penzeys if you want to check them out. http://www.penzeys.com/ 
I have a handful of spices that I can't live without, and that you won't find anywhere else, here are a few of them.


*Sandwich Sprinkle
*Mural of Flavor Seasoning
*Mulling Spices
*Raspberry Enlightenment
*Vanilla Sugar

1 comment:

  1. Really like your Friday's dedicated to food idea, I would love some new healthy recipes that have already been taste tested by someone I know and trust! This chicken recipe sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete