Friday, March 18, 2011
Fantastic Foodie Fridays... Whoopie it's #3! ~Healthy Sloppy Joes~
Sorry that this is getting up so late. Been in the ER almost all day with my Husband. Thank you to my dear friend Rochelle for this recipe. I hope that everyone will enjoy this lighter version of a family favorite.
Ok... so here it is... Modified to make it "kid friendly"...
Sloppy Joes (serves 6)-
Adapted from "The Best of Clean Eating" cookbook
8oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey (you can also use Ground Chicken)
1 Large Red Onion- chopped very fine
4 tsp Chile Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
2 Medium Tomatoes- chopped small
1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth (I like organic free range low sodium)
1 Tbsp No-Salt-Added Tomato Paste
2 tsp Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
6 Whole-Wheat Sandwich Thins (I use Arnold)- lightly toasted
1 Tbsp Arrowroot dissolved in 2 Tbsp cold water (can use corn starch)
1/2 cup Shredded Low-Fat Monterey Jack Cheese
1. In non-stick skillet, sautee chopped onion over medium heat, until translucent.
2. Add turkey, and cook until brown (about 3-4 minutes). Stir in chile and garlic powders and salt. Add tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and soy sauce, increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
3. During this time you can toast Sandwich Thins under the broiler or in the toaster. For extra flavor you can lightly "butter" one side with a margarine (this will add approx. 5 calories per sandwich).
4. Stir in arrowroot mixture to the sloppy joe mix for 30-60 seconds until it thickens.
5. Place 1/2 cup of mix on bottom of sandwich thin and top with 4 tsp of cheese.
Calories: 175, Total Fat: 3.5 g, Sat Fat: 1g, Carbs: 15g