Monday, April 11, 2011

To Walk in Another's Shoes...

Sometimes it is hard to imagine, but honestly it truly is nearly impossible to put yourself in someone else's shoes.  We always like to think that we are being supportive and that we understand what someone else is going through.  But do we?  Have you ever tried to take someone else's place to see what they are going through?  I pondered this question today as I was trying to squelch my frustration.  I try to be the supportive spouse, but sometimes I just get tired of Chad's work getting in the way of our family time.  So I decided to go to his store today to help him decorate for his "re-opening" after the store's re-model.  I have to say that it has been a long, ROUGH two weeks, but his team really pulled it out!  We got there with a huge helium tank and started to blow up balloons.  As the weather out side started to warm up, his store started to get really busy.  Sometimes they were 3 or 4 deep in a line waiting to get the guys to help them while all the phones were ringing off the hook!  They would no sooner answer one line and hang up and it would be ringing again.  At one point a customer said to me "Hey toots, why don't you quit blowing up balloons & help me?"  I had to keep my cherub like demeanor and tell him that I wasn't an employee, but was merely there to decorate the store.  I really wanted to tell him that I wasn't going to be a help when it came to his problem as I know little to nothing about cars.  If I stick the key in the ignition, turn the key and the car runs, it's going to be a good day.  Rolling on Floor Laughing... Ok, I am not REALLY that bad, but close!  He seemed to calm down when I offered to help, but he soon realized that I am not a car junkie & don't speak the lingo.  Once again, ROFL... After three hours of being in the store trying to make it look pretty with the white, black, orange and red balloons.  I was ready to call it quits!  My fingers hurt from tying off the all the balloons and my head was throbbing from all the constant calls coming in and confusion of people rushing in & out of the store as the staff did their best to take care of each and every person.  I guess where I am going with all of this is.  Sometimes we all feel like we aren't appreciated and that no one understands what we go through on a daily basis.  We think to ourselves if only for one day someone could walk in our shoes.  Well, today I got a small taste of what it is like to walk in my husband's shoes.  I tell you it makes me have a greater appreciation for what he goes through in the average day.  So, what does this have to do with this blog and cancer?  Though I have never personally been touched by cancer, I truly try to understand all I can, with out having cancer.  On days that I don't feel up to it, I try to think of people that I know like Taylor.  She is truly an Amazing Warrior!  At the tender age of 23 she has battled not one, not two, but three forms of cancer and she is still fighting!  She has a never give up attitude!  During her battle with cancer she is giving her smile, her time and her love to others that are struggling.  She never speaks of her constant pain, frustration or how sick she really is.  Her first words to someone in a similar situation would most likely be, how can help you?  No, let me take that back, she would just get in there and do for you.  Taylor has an innate way of just knowing what someone needs and just does it.  Never asking or wanting a pat on the back or for you to pay her back.  She would rather you pay it forward, because she will be alright.   If you ever get the time you should really go to team15percent.blogspot.com.  This blog my friend Joyce has written with love, compassion & the unwavering support every one of us would wish for if we were in Taylor's situation.  The blog, team 15% will open your eyes.  It will make you stop and relise that what frustrates us today, is really just a bump in the road compared to what Taylor has been fighting with and against for years with a strength that is nothing less than AMAZING!  So in closing tonight I hope that you can take away this.  We all struggle in our daily lives with different burdens.  I would simply ask that before you say you understand, get frustrated or pass judgment.  Try to walk in that person's shoes, even if for just one day.  See if it doesn't give you a new perspective and appreciation for what you do have.  

1 comment: