Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Does not Discriminate...

After the appalling news that has come out over the last 24 hours about Raymond Johnson who is being denied medical coverage for his breast cancer because he isn't a woman.  I am left with this sick feeling in my stomach that I can't seem to shake no matter how hard I have tried.  ( This excerpt was taken from the Today show post.)  "Although it's a well-established medical fact that men get breast cancer, Medicaid, the health insurance program for low income and disabled Americans, won’t provide coverage for some of them. Last month, Raymond Johnson, a 26-year-old single South Carolina man, discovered he was one of the estimated 2,100 men who are diagnosed with the disease each year." This is the direct link if you would like to learn more about this travesty...
After posting this on my Facebook account another friend comment on it & said that she thought that Montel Williams was a Survivor...  He actually has MS and has a foundation that he has founded and is very active with.  This drove me to do a little digging of my own.  I have included another link that if you are feeling so inclined to read and learn about the celebrities that have battled breast cancer.  I was shocked to see the amount of names, many of which I had no idea had ever been affected by breast cancer.  It is a sobering fact to see so many names on a list & remember these names on this list are famous people or celebrities.  You will not find Your mother's name on this list or your sister or the grandmother that lives down the street on this list or any of the "Ordinary" women or men that are fighting this battle.  I shudder to think of how long the list would actually be.  Then if you add in the amount of names of those that valiantly battled and lost the list would be staggering.   
Celebrities affected by breast cancer
I will leave you with this information... This will start to educate you about men's breast cancer.  Knowledge is POWER!  Arm yourself, who know's the life you save just might be your own...

No comments:

Post a Comment