Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Just Smile...

Sometimes we can't change the situation, but with our smile we can change the direction.  I met a man today that lost his wife last week to breast cancer. As I was leaving the restaurant, I ran around the corner and took this picture.  He asked me why?  We ended up chatting for a bit.  I told him that I write in this blog every day.  I try to make a difference, by sharing with others stories or information about breast cancer and every Friday I put up a new recipe for people to try.  I don't think he truly understands why I do what I do, but as we parted ways he told me that my smile and just me taking the time to talk to him changed things.  I didn't want to pry, but I felt compelled to continue talking to him.  After a few more minutes of us talking Tristin came in to tell me that everyone was waiting for me.  I told him I would be right out.  The man told me that I should get going because I had people waiting on me.  He said that before I started to talk to him the only person that he felt was waiting for him was his wife.  He was lost without her and longed to be with her.  I told him that I did understand what he was saying, but I believed that she would want him to live a full life, and not have it cut short like her's unfortunately was.  He needed to live for both of them, not throw in the towel.  He asked me why I cared and I told him that I walk with an amazing group of people and that we are all Pink Warriors.  We support each other in the difficult times and we celebrate victories won.  I encouraged him to call the Susan G. Komen hotline and get some support even though he lost his wife. I knew that other people in our Pink community would show him the love and compassion that he needs right now.  I asked him if he was going to be alright, and he told me that I saved his life just by taking the time to smile at him and to talk.  He gave me a huge hug and whispered in my ear Thank You, I will now be living for two...  

No comments:

Post a Comment