This is a hearty, Russian classic, our budget-friendly, clean version replaces the beef with portobellos, making up for lost protein with tofu in the creamy sauce. The family will be saying “spasiba” in no time.
I thought I would miss the beef. To my shock and delight I can tell you that I did not miss it. I look forward to making this recipe again in the near future.
( Tip: ) The only thing I did different is that I blended the Tofu until it was as smooth as I thought it could get. Then I added the sour cream and blended those two together. Finally I added the beef stock and blended it into the rest. This produced a perfect cream sauce. I also cooked the sauce down in the pan with the mushrooms and then allowed it to cool some before serving this let the flavors meld together. I didn't measure the salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning. I seasoned it to taste. I also doubled the mushrooms.
- 12 oz whole-wheat egg noodles
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 14 oz medium-firm tofu, pureed in blender or food processor
- 8 oz low-fat sour cream
- 8 oz low-sodium beef stock
- 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over high for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, mist with cooking spray and add onion. Sauté for about 8 minutes or until caramelized. Add white and portobello mushrooms and garlic. Mist with cooking spray, if needed, and saute until cooked, about 5 more minutes.
- Add tofu, sour cream, stock and tomato paste, and stir until smooth. Stir in seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour mushroom sauce over cooked noodles. Serve topped with dill.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 140, Total Fat: 3.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 140 mg, Cholesterol: 15 mg
Serves: 8Hands-on time: 30 minutes.
Total time: 30 minutes.
By Jeanette Hurt | Photo: Gibson & Smith