Friday, August 12, 2011

Fantastic Foodie Fridays~Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff


This is a hearty, Russian classic, our budget-friendly, clean version replaces the beef with portobellos, making up for lost protein with tofu in the creamy sauce. The family will be saying “spasiba” in no time.  

I thought I would miss the beef.  To my shock and delight I can tell you that I did not miss it.  I look forward to making this recipe again in the near future.  

( Tip: ) The only thing I did different is that I blended the Tofu until it was as smooth as I thought it could get.  Then I added the sour cream and blended those two together.   Finally I added the beef stock and blended it into the rest. This produced a perfect cream sauce. I also cooked the sauce down in the pan with the mushrooms and then allowed it to cool some before serving this let the flavors meld together. I didn't measure the salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning.  I seasoned it to taste.  I also doubled the mushrooms.  


INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz whole-wheat egg noodles
  •  Olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  •  4 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 8 oz portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
  •  1 clove garlic, minced
  • 14 oz medium-firm tofu, pureed in blender or food processor
  • 8 oz low-fat sour cream
  • 8 oz low-sodium beef stock
  • 1 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp dried dill

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over high for 1 minute.
  3. Reduce heat to medium-low, mist with cooking spray and add onion. Sauté for about 8 minutes or until caramelized. Add white and portobello mushrooms and garlic. Mist with cooking spray, if needed, and saute until cooked, about 5 more minutes.
  4. Add tofu, sour cream, stock and tomato paste, and stir until smooth. Stir in seasoning, salt and pepper.
  5. Pour mushroom sauce over cooked noodles. Serve topped with dill.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 140, Total Fat: 3.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 140 mg, Cholesterol: 15 mg    

Serves: 8
Hands-on time: 30 minutes.
Total time: 30 minutes.         
By Jeanette Hurt | Photo: Gibson & Smith

Nutritional Bonus:

Mushrooms are not only low-cal wonders - 1 white mushroom contains only 5 calories and is fat-free; 1 oz of portobello mushrooms contains 10 calories and zero fat (that includes saturated fat!) - but they are also an impressive source of potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and maintain heart health.  Just 5 oz of mushrooms contain more potassium than a banana!

No comments:

Post a Comment